Saturday, October 23, 2010

"Lighter" Potato Soup that I made not as light...

It's starting to get cold out and all I want is soup. This potato soup recipe was a first for me and it will certainly not be the last time I make it! My friend Beth gave me this fantastic recipe. It was super easy and tasted liked baked potato heaven. I know a lot of potato soups have butter, whole milk, and regular bacon but this one is skim milk, no butter and turkey bacon. I was a little skeptical that it would not be as tasty, but it was wonderful! This serves 8 and is 329 calories per serving if you follow Beth's way, my way had real cheese and real sour cream so obviously the caloric intake is higher, but I stuck to the rest. I just don't like light sour cream and I'm not willing to compromise on cheese. I likes my cheeses!   

4 baking potatoes (cooked for 1 hour in the oven. Peirce the potatoes and cook at 400 degrees)
1 cup of flour
6 cups skim milk
1 cup light sour cream
1 tsp white pepper
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 cup reduced fat grated sharp cheddar cheese
4 strips turkey bacon crumbled (cooked nice and crispy)


I started off prepping all my ingredients and getting the bacon cooked. I put one cup of flour in the bottom of a dutch oven and gradually whisked in the 6 cups of milk. You don't really need to boil this, but just get it "bubbly".  Whisk in your salt and pepper. Every time I say salt and pepper I get this stuck in my head...ooh baby baby...ba baby baby...Salt and Pepa here...sorry, just a little 90's rewind. Anyway back to the soup. It will thicken.

Next, scrape the "guts" out of the potatoes into the milk. I broke the chunks of potato up a bit for smaller bites. Add your sour cream, green onion, and cheese. Keep whisking until the cheese melts.


Why does turkey bacon have ruffles? Anyway, you're now ready to serve up your soup. Add some extra cheese, onion, and bacon on top. Curl up on the couch, try to keep the dogs off you while you eat (stupid turkey bacon) and know that your freezing fingers will soon be warm cause that bowl is crazy hot!
Enjoy! :-)
One last note. These are the little things that may make me a crazy person. I love my mums on the front porch and honestly, this window basket was crazy cheep from the dollar store...I'm talking maybe $8. So my thing is, they are trying to make it cheep I get that...why do they have to put the stupid leaf thing on the front!? It looks stupid I'm going to try and take it off and hopefully can just touch this up with a little paint. (I also hate that the previous home owner put the house letters on the diagonal.) People stop putting things on the diagonal! It looks bad, it also looks bad when you do it with artwork. You may as well hang your art too high while your at it. OK, I'll stop being a grump and complaining and when we paint the house I'll get new house numbers and hang them straight.  

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin